Vinayak Ganesh Vaze College of Arts, Science and Commerce (Kelkar College), Mulund
Located in Mulund East, VG Vaze College of Arts, Science and Commerce is a 10 minute walk, or a 5 minute rickshaw ride, from the station. There’s also a bus stop right outside college, so the connectivity by BEST buses is pretty good as well.
Kelkar college is pretty old, and so is the infrastructure, but it’s not bad at all. They have a Cosmetology department in the college, which does its bit to make the building look as presentable as possible. There are decently good facilities for sports as well, since the campus is quite big. The labs are decent, and the library is really good. Classrooms for BMM students are air conditioned, but nothing else in the college is. Kelkar college also maintains a green house, the plants of which are used by the Perfume department.
- Junior College - Arts | Science | Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce in Banking and Insurance
- Bachelor of Commerce in Accountancy and Finance
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Physics
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science in Botany
- Bachelor of Science in Zoology
- Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Arts in History
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
- Bachelor of Arts in Marathi
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- Bachelor of Arts in Hindi
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Biotechnology
It’s probably the quality of professors that ensures that Kelkar college is ranked among the top colleges in Mumbai, in spite of the location slightly letting it down. The faculty is very highly rated, with some very experienced professors, especially in the Science department.
Vaze College is quite particular when it comes to attendance. Students are expected to maintain 75% attendance, failing which their parents are called. There’s a defaulters list every two months. In the end nothing really happens (unless your attendance is TOO poor), but the teachers enjoy making you believe that you could be in big big trouble unless you attend.
Well, it’s not great, but it’s not too bad either. The smartest students of the nearby areas land up in Kelkar College. But almost no one from South Bombay travels all the way here. Students tend to be more on the serious than the fun-loving side, although many are heavily involved in extracurricular activities like sports and theatre.
Faces lighten up when the word ‘canteen’ is uttered, and students instantly heap praise on their ‘second home’. Although it’s quite expensive (sada dosa – Rs.25!) and very crowded, the food is decent and the fresh juices are really delicious. Students love this place, and to be fair, they don’t really have a choice.
Almost none. There’s nothing to do next to college, and students have to travel by rickshaws for about half an hour to reach R-Mall or Nirmal Lifestyle. Other than that, there’s nothing really.
Vaze College hosts an inter college cultural festival called 'Dimensions'. They also have a very popular Marathi theatre fests called 'Veethi' and 'Avishkar', which many students are extremely passionate about.
Kelkar Education Trust's V.G.Vaze College of Arts, Science and Commerce,
Mithagar Road, Mulund(East),
Telephone: 21631421, 21631423
Definitely THE college to be in if you’re from the Bhandup-Kalyan belt. Excellent academics, brilliant faculty and a fantastic legacy.