SJB Institute of Technology (SJBIT), Uttarahalli Road
SJB Institute of Technology (SJBIT) is located in a far off corner of South-West Bangalore, about a kilometre from Uttarahalli-Kengeri Road. Although 2-3 BMTC buses (225CF, 373...) do ply along Uttarahalli-Kengeri Road, they drop you at BGS hospital from where you need to walk another 15-20 mins to reach the college. Bus services provided by the college are chargeable at Rs. 20,000/- per year.
This is perhaps the USP of this college. A huge campus coupled with swanky classrooms, labs and libraries make SJB Institute of Technology (SJBIT) one of the better engineering colleges as far as infrastructure is concerned. CCTV cameras, 24x7 internet browsing centres are in place and Wi-Fi on campus would have made it complete.
The condition of the hostels, however, is nowhere close to the college infrastructure. Tiny rooms have been allotted to double the people they should actually accommodate. Only a limited supply of water is available every morning so either you make it a habit to wake up early or to NOT take a bath. Food served by the mess is horrible; on being asked what is the exact problem, one of the more disappointed one replies, “We can’t even tear the roti with two hands, chewing it is out of the question. And the worst part, they charge us Rs. 50,000/- per year for all this!”
For Karnataka CET students: Rs. 36,090/- per year
For UGET (COMEDK) students: Rs. 1.25L per year
Students claim that only a handful of the professors are actually good at teaching, the rest do not make for interesting lectures. The ECE department is said to be an exception, where they teach well, but are VERY strict. Among other departments, the Information Science (IS) department is said to be the worst.
Attendance & Discipline:
SJB Institute of Technology (SJBIT) recommends an attendance above 85% which most students are not able to comply with. Defaulters with attendance between 75-85% need to buy books for the library as well as cough up fines as high Rs. 1000/- per subject. Below 75% the fines levied increase to about Rs. 5000/- per subject. Those with below 60% can get away with a lump sum of 40-60K depending on the short of attendance. Some students say it’s easy to not get into this entire mess if you have a good rapport with the teachers.
Some amount of disciplinary rules like no round neck tshirts, no slippers etc. are maintained. The ECE department is the one which follows them the most stringently.
SJBIT’s remote location is slightly detrimental to the city crowd but still a good number of people come from all parts of Bangalore. About 75% of the crowd is from Karnataka itself while the remaining 25% come from the rest of India. The crowd seems to be a little reserved kind with few people interacting with each other.
Space is not an issue at the SJBIT canteen. Food quality is average but the prices are a little expensive.
There’s nothing out there, except for a sparse forest and a playground.
“Varchasva” is an inter-college cultural festival celebrated at SJB Institute of Technology (SJBIT) every year sometime in April. Another festival is organized by the CS & IS departments during November. The management is quite supportive about these kinds of events and other extra-curricular activities.
SJB Institute of Technology (SJBIT) makes sure every student gets placed in one company or the other. But these placements come for a price; you need to pay about Rs. 10,000/- initially as placement training fees and an additional Rs. 4,000-8,000/- for every offer letter you get. Students dislike this practice but keep mum as they are thankful that at least they’ll be landing up with a job. TCS, Wipro, Accenture, Bosch, Kirloskar, Mindtree are some of the companies that recruit students on campus. The highest package is close to Rs. 6.5L per year.
SJB Institute of Technology
#67, BGS Health & Education City
Uttarahalli Road Kengeri,
Bangalore South - 560060
Placements and infrastructure is what should lure you to this college; the downsides being inessential fines and unimpressive faculty. SJBIT doesn’t feature amongst the top 10 engineering colleges in Bangalore, but can be preferred somewhere amongst the first few of 11th– 20th league.