Guru Tegh Bahadur Institute of Technology (GTBIT), Rajouri Garden
Guru Tegh Bahadur Institute of Technology (GTBIT) is situated in a slightly industrial area, but the connectivity to this place is not a problem. Although it’s certainly not walking distance from the nearest metro, which would be Tagore Garden or Subhash Nagar, on the Blue line, but you get buses that drop you right outside the college. Or you take a rickshaw from the metro station and it’ll cost you around Rs.25-30. But if you were to ask how students’ travel, 70% travel using public conveniences, and the rest 30% prefer using their own vehicles.
Guru Tegh Bahadur Institute of Technology (GTBIT) is around a decade old, and the building certainly looks well maintained. The classrooms are big and spacious and the benches are comfortable. The library is good, and it can very easily accommodate 100 students at a time without any problem. All the books the students need are available and can be issued for reference as well. There is a separate building for the laboratories, and all the labs are air-conditioned. The labs are equipped with all the instruments and computers needed during the practical sessions. There are even some classes in the other building that are air conditioned. All the classes have projectors, and students or the faculty can use it during the lectures. There is a seminar hall provided by the college as well. The students are provided Book-Bank facility, wherein they get all the books they need for the entire semester, which they need to return after the exams. So you can avoid buying books from the market at all.
The college does not have a Hostel of its own to accommodate the students that are not from Delhi. But cheap PG options are available near the college.
The fees you need to pay while studying at GTBIT is roughly Rs.80,000 - Rs. 90,000 per year.
The faculty is a mixture of senior and junior professors. But the students feel that the senior and experienced faculty members are better when it comes to teaching. But at the same time some of the senior professors are not dedicated when it comes to doing their duty as a teacher, where some junior professors are really working hard to be good teachers and set a rapport with the students. The teachers manage to teach in English, but again, for the benefit of the students, Hindi also comes in at times, so that the learning is smooth.
Attendance is what decides your internal marks, as 5% marks are kept allotted for every subject, which is marked proportional to your attendance. So you can get upto 5% marks even before appearing for the exams, that’s only if you attend 75% or more. The college is not very harsh though when it comes to implementing the 75% compulsory attendance norm set by the university, and is relaxed till you have 60% attendance. Below that parents are called, and you are made to sign a bond that says that you will compensate for the attendance in the next semester. However the students say that no harsh action is taken (unlike other colleges) and students are allowed to appear for the exams.
The crowd sees a variety of students coming from different parts of Delhi and NCR region. There is a 60% reservation for students belonging to the Sikh community. There is a high level of interaction between the seniors and juniors so you can make friends with seniors too. Students are always seen involved in other activities, apart from academics too. The boy to girl ratio is 60 – 40.
Pacific Mall, PVR Naraina, DC Jankapuri are the most popular hangouts around the college, where students are seen often.
The canteen is just about okay, with fairly decent food served, but it’s a good place to spend time with friends around.
‘Gates’ is the annual technical cum cultural festival of Guru Teg Bahadur Inst. Of Technology (GTBIT) held in March. Many events are conducted during the festival. A few popular singers of upcoming bands have performed at the college during the fest. Students actively participate and enjoy being a part of the fest. Apart from ‘Gates’, college students also participate in the common university festival ‘Anugunj’ which is a big event and sees a lot of participation. Some other smaller events like ‘Rumination’, debates, and poster competition are also held, throughout the year that keep students involved.
The placements are said to be good with companies like Infosys, ThoughtWorks, HCL, Standard Chartered, Syntel, ITC, and Nucleus visit the campus for recruitment. All the eligible candidates get placement, and for the current year, already 60-70% students have been placed. And here the general trend is to take up the jobs and pursue masters after gaining some experience at work. The average salaries that students get offered every year, is around 3.5 Lakh Rupees, and the maximum offered over here has gone to 6.6 Lakh Rupees.
Studying here and being here is good, but Guru Tegh Bahadur Institute of Technology (GTBIT) has a high potential for improvement.