Admission Process for ME/M.Tech Colleges
While admissions to many other courses are pretty complicated and at times, confusing, the admission process for Masters of Engineering (ME) or Masters of Technology (M.Tech) is quite straightforward. Though the advantage in other courses is the Centralised Admission Process - many colleges of a particular university come together for admissions, M.Tech has a college wise admission procedure i.e. applying to each and every college individually.
Although, there are several colleges which conduct their own exam (separate entrance test) for admissions to M.Tech courses, if you're looking for a seat in most of the reputed M.Tech college across the country, your GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) score is of utmost importance.
However, that's not all you'll need. Because some institutions, alongwith the GATE scores, prefer to conduct an interview session with the applicant! So, if your scores are weak, interview session is a good area to comeback.
We've tried to make things simpler at Stupidsid...
Important Parameters of the Admission Process:
- GATE Score - All colleges prefer applicats with a GATE score. Colleges apart from the IITs, NITs, etc. at times conduct their own admission test but it is highly recommended to appear for the GATE exam as preference is always given to the GATE applicant.
- Written Test - This test is conducted for students who do not appear for the GATE exam and are yet eligible to apply for M.Tech courses (basically admission to M.Tech without taking the GATE). Most colleges do not have a written test as a part of their admission process.
- Interview Round - This round tests your technical skills, basics and concepts about the desired M.Tech course and a couple of HR/personal questions. If you've not managed to score in the GATE exam, this is a bonus round. It varies from college to college but most colleges have started conducting an interview session.
- Engineering Academics - Even though GATE exam is based on the entire syllabus of engineering, few colleges prefer to go through the undergrad academic record of the candidate. So, if you've preformed excellently, the balance tilts in your favour.
General Flow of M.Tech Admission Process:
- Appear for GATE
- Keep track of notifications announced by various colleges offering M.Tech program. This might be the most gruesome part as there is no Centralised Admission Process.
- Fill up the application form (mostly online) along with the prescribed application fee before the deadlines.
- Once the results are declared and your name appears in the final list, confirm your admission by paying up the tuition fee.
- (If there is an interview round) Once the shortlisting of applications are done, selected candidates will be called for an interview round after which then the final list of selected candidates for M.Tech program will be declared.
Documents Required during the Admissions:
- GATE Score Card
- Engineering Academic Record (Marksheets)
- Receipt of the Registration/Application Fee